3/16/2009

Facebook Ads

OK, I know that there isn't a huge market for grief books, though my book has been way better received in Canada than it has in the US. (A national bestseller even). I guess I shouldn't be surprised by the fact that everyone is sick to death of 9/11. God knows I am. But my book is more than that. Canadians got that. Americans couldn't seem to see past 9/11. Or maybe Canadians are more at ease with loss and grief and don't see it as quite as much a disease as Americans do. I don't know. I just know that my book needs a little boost, so I have been trying to figure out how to do that with almost no publisher support. I was pleased to discover Facebook Ads, and so thought I would try a little experiment. I figured I could cap the expense at $10.00 a day and see how it went. I created my ad, added the book cover linked it to my website, created a target market (30-65 female, in the US with interests in books, reading, dating, singles, parenting). I added my credit card number and voila, I was off, or so I thought. I got an email that my ad was approved. I went to the website, and already had 9 click throughs and over 12,000 impressions! (OK, not a great clickthrough rate, but 9 clicks is huge in my book). And then I got another email that my ad was disapproved. Wha? They claimed that my ad did not reflect my product, despite the book's image, the word book in the copy and the fact that it linked to my website. So, I figured I would change the copy a little, but alas, there is no way to do that on Facebook. So the ad is there in virtual limbo and short of deleting it and starting over again, it will remain that way. What a bad user experience! Boo Facebook. So both my ad and my book languish. Time to go check my Australian stats!